Help Understanding Graves

Thyroid HUG
Surviving Graves Disease

Together finding strength for tomorrow!

Forum

Forum Home > The Lounge > Dieting - Please help

elvina

I was diagnosed with GD last June and put onto Carbimazole which is working well and I now take 10mg per day. Before being diagnosed I had been dieting, The Fast Diet, and my weight was coming down nicely. Since being on Carbimazole all my weight loss has pretty much gone back on and I am back on The Fast Diet but it just isnt working and I dont seem to be able to shift any weight. I have also increased my exercise to try to help. Are there any diets that work better with carbimazole please? Can anyone make any suggestions please to help me to shed this weight which I hate and which is making me feel really low? Many thanks

February 16, 2016 at 4:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

anamcharaid
Hi Elvina, I have just read your post, I am new to he site and forum. I was first diagnosed with Graves 10 years ago and went into remission after treatment with Carbimazole. Unfortunately I relapsed last year and put back on Carbimazole. I have just had radioactive iodine 6 days ago. Despite being hyper for two episodes I had not been successful in keeping weight down, though I am now 56 and that could be down to my age etc. the best I have felt physically though (I also gave fibromyalgia which is also an auto immune condition and could well be a mask for the Graves) was when I followed a mostly paleo diet as this for me seemed to help reduce the impact on my body and immune system of foods that are not "natural" etc. basically it's protein from meat, fish and nuts, carbs from nut butters, leafy vegs and some root vegs, drinks is mostly water! Which can be a bind socially. people seem to find it hard when you are not eating the usual social foods and outside the house it can be hard to find things to eat that keep me on track... Everything is pasta, pastry, sandwiches and coffee!!! Times when I have fallen off the wagon I really know about it. Keeping weight down is such a struggle when all the systems in your body are basically out of whack, just try to find something that suits your needs. Graves is really hard, nurture and be kind to yourself as much as possible. Best wishes
March 15, 2016 at 5:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jolanta

Hi Elvina,

It is important to eat well when you have been diagnosed with Graves' disease as it is connected to many nutritional deficiencies. Severe dieting is connected to the development of Graves' disease. I am not a nutritionist but I have had experienced weight gain on antithyroid medication. Having lots (like few cups per day) of vegetables (especially some cruciferous and leafy greens) in the diet helps. Make sure you have adequate protein, such as meals of meat broths to replace the amino acids lost. Having some apple cider vinegar in water helps with digestion and weight loss. Limiting gluten containing products (white wheat flour cakes, pastries, bread, pancakes, biscuits) might be beneficial as gluten sensitivity is connected to autoimmunity. It may help with weight loss as gluten containing foods can be inflammatory. Inflammed body has problems losing weight. Quinoa, brown rice are great as they do not contain gluten. When you have fish or meat have it with vegetable salads (as it is a good combination). Quinoa and rice is great with vegetables only. Combining meat and starches in one meal makes weight difficult to lose. Also, try to chew your food well. Walking every day helps as well.Try not stress too much. Getting well is the first step in weight loss. I welcome you to check my book 'Thyroid and Graves' disease unmasked' about more diet tips. Best wishes.

Jolanta Krywult

August 20, 2016 at 7:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jolanta

Jolanta at August 20, 2016 at 7:56 AM

Hi Elvina,

It is important to eat well when you have been diagnosed with Graves' disease as it is connected to many nutritional deficiencies. Severe dieting is connected to the development of Graves' disease. I am not a nutritionist but I have had experienced weight gain on antithyroid medication. Having lots (like few cups per day) of vegetables (especially some cruciferous and leafy greens) in the diet helps. Make sure you have adequate protein, such as meals of meat broths to replace the amino acids lost. Having some apple cider vinegar in water helps with digestion and weight loss. Limiting gluten containing products (white wheat flour cakes, pastries, bread, pancakes, biscuits) might be beneficial as gluten sensitivity is connected to autoimmunity. It may help with weight loss as gluten containing foods can be inflammatory. Inflammed body has problems losing weight. Quinoa, brown rice are great as they do not contain gluten. When you have fish or meat have it with vegetable salads (as it is a good combination). Quinoa and rice is great with vegetables only. Combining meat and starches in one meal makes weight difficult to lose. Also, try to chew your food well. Walking every day helps as well.Try not stress too much. Getting well is the first step in weight loss. I welcome you to check my book 'Thyroid and Graves' disease unmasked' about more diet tips. Best wishes.

Jolanta Krywult

Hi Elvina, I can also refer you to my website if you are interested.

http:www.gravesdiseaseunmasked.com

Regards

Jolanta

August 20, 2016 at 9:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.