Help Understanding Graves

Thyroid HUG
Surviving Graves Disease

Together finding strength for tomorrow!

Forum

Forum Home > The Lounge > Relapse

hillrunner

I was diagnosed with GD in Dec. 2011.  Took Methemizole until April 2013 and quit when I went into remission.  I'm now having heart flutters.  Is this normal to wax and wane?  How important is diet with GD?  Thanks!!

March 9, 2014 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ThyroidHUG
Site Owner

It's possible your Graves is becoming active again so have your labs checked. Symptoms swinging from hyper to hypo and back typically occurr more once the thyroid levels are within range and the body is adjusting from hyper levels to normal levels.

Many have found a gluten free diet helpful while others prefer the Paleo diet. It’s important to discuss any significant changes to your diet with your doctor because it could affect your labs. There is a close link between Graves Disease and Celiac Disease - wheat intolerance and, therefore, a gluten free diet is very important.

--
•  Sept. 2007 - Diagnosed Severe Hyperthyroidism, GD & TED
• Feb. 2008 - Total Thyroidectomy
All comments are from my own personal experience and other information obtained over the years.
March 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cindy

I have been reading and found that if you are truly in remission  your TRAB will be low , close to negative.  Your dr needs to run that blood work before withdawing the Anti Thyroid Meds....better chance for a true remission.

July 12, 2014 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Amy Seeley

Gluten Free?? 

Hello - I was recently diagnosed with Graves and was wondering if anyone had success with a Gluten free diet.  I really do not want to gain weight now that I am on the meds.  

Thanks in advance! 

Amy 

July 29, 2015 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ThyroidHUG
Site Owner

Amy Seeley at July 29, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Gluten Free?? 

Hello - I was recently diagnosed with Graves and was wondering if anyone had success with a Gluten free diet.  I really do not want to gain weight now that I am on the meds.  

Thanks in advance! 

Amy 

From what I have read online and what others have shared, a GF diet has benefited many people who have a gluten intollerance.  Some people who do not have chosen a GF diet but research has shown that it is very likely that their body will develope a gluten intollerance by eliminating gluten from their diet.  

As to weight gain, as long as a person maintains optimal levels then the metabolism will perform normal functions.  The trick is to find the "optimal range" which could be slightly higher or lower than the "normal range."  It can be tough to find because the body is often still struggling to adjust from hyper to normal functions and heal from the thyroid wreaking havoc.  Therefore, what could be an optimal range in Jan. could be different in Oct.  

Healthy portions with a well rounded diet is always best - along with daily exercise.

--
•  Sept. 2007 - Diagnosed Severe Hyperthyroidism, GD & TED
• Feb. 2008 - Total Thyroidectomy
All comments are from my own personal experience and other information obtained over the years.
August 6, 2015 at 9:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jolanta

Gluten free diet may be beneficial for people with Graves' disease. People with celiac disease are more predisposed to Graves' disesae. These two autoimmune disorders may co-occur. This is because some components of gluten mimic thyroid molecules. Gluten sensitivity is connected to a 'leaky gut'. In some people, the spaces between the cells`of the gastrointestinal track remain more open due to a sensitivity to gluten as it is seen as a foreign and inflammatory molecule.The intestinal lining might be more to certain toxic molecules. It may be beneficial to follow a gluten and diary free diet, especially when the disease is active. It might assist with a remission. When in remission, limiting gluten might also be beneficial  Our immune system is strongly associated with our digestive system. Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli are beneficial in a diet. It is important to have some esssential fatty acids. Flaxseed oil is great for Graves'. Limiting stress is vital for Graves' disease remission.

August 20, 2016 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jolanta

I have written about Graves' diet and how to increase a chance of a permament remission from Graves' disease in my book: 'Thyroid and Graves' disease unmasked'. There is a lot of things that help. My website is:

http://www.gravesdiseaseunmasked.com

Best regards

Jolanta

August 20, 2016 at 9:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.